Peloton Forum banner
  • Hey, everyone! Check out our Horizon 7.0 AT Giveaway HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the issue:

When I try to ride along with any of the non-power-zone videos I often end up not being able to keep up with the suggested cadence and resistance settings. This wouldn't be a problem if at least I know what the intended exertion was supposed to be.

For example, on a recent non power zone ride, the instructor suggested a cadence of 90 – 100 and a resistance at something like 48 to 50 something. This was for a few minutes of riding. The issue is, for me, that setting puts my power zone well over 7! For the instructor who is in great shape this may have put them in their power zone range of 4 so I assume they are expecting that kind of exertion by the person taking the class or following the video. Without knowing the intended exertion level I don't know what to set my bike to. I could in this case set cadence to 90 and then find a resistance that puts me in zone 4 or I could set my resistance to the instructors request but change my cadence so I am in zone 4. Either way, I get a workout and am working as hard as the instructor intended.

So here is the suggestion.

If every instructor said something like this on all of their workout videos (just an example with made up numbers)..

“Ok peloton, for the next 2 minutes we will be riding with a cadence between 90 and 100 with a resistance of 45 to 50 or for those of you who can't reach that, try to stay in power zone from 4 to 5 .”

Now I would know what targeted exertion the instructor is expecting and all the non power-zone videos would be usable by me.

I thought of sending this suggestion to Peloton support but was afraid it would get nowhere so perhaps this might be a better way to make the suggestion.

For me and perhaps others this could open up a whole world of classes that people could participate in and make the peloton a much better product. Power zones are a great way to know intended exertion which is unique to each person and there is no reason the intended zone can't be mentioned along with the cadence and resistance setting on all the videos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is the issue:

When I try to ride along with any of the non-power-zone videos I often end up not being able to keep up with the suggested cadence and resistance settings. This wouldn't be a problem if at least I know what the intended exertion was supposed to be.

For example, on a recent non power zone ride, the instructor suggested a cadence of 90 – 100 and a resistance at something like 48 to 50 something. This was for a few minutes of riding. The issue is, for me, that setting puts my power zone well over 7! For the instructor who is in great shape this may have put them in their power zone range of 4 so I assume they are expecting that kind of exertion by the person taking the class or following the video. Without knowing the intended exertion level I don't know what to set my bike to. I could in this case set cadence to 90 and then find a resistance that puts me in zone 4 or I could set my resistance to the instructors request but change my cadence so I am in zone 4. Either way, I get a workout and am working as hard as the instructor intended.

So here is the suggestion.

If every instructor said something like this on all of their workout videos (just an example with made up numbers)..

“Ok peloton, for the next 2 minutes we will be riding with a cadence between 90 and 100 with a resistance of 45 to 50 or for those of you who can't reach that, try to stay in power zone from 4 to 5 .”

Now I would know what targeted exertion the instructor is expecting and all the non power-zone videos would be usable by me.

I thought of sending this suggestion to Peloton support but was afraid it would get nowhere so perhaps this might be a better way to make the suggestion.

For me and perhaps others this could open up a whole world of classes that people could participate in and make the peloton a much better product. Power zones are a great way to know intended exertion which is unique to each person and there is no reason the intended zone can't be mentioned along with the cadence and resistance setting on all the videos.
I did Ben ALDIs PZ this morning and shocked myself that what he recommended was “tolerable “ 😳😳😳. I guess I need to retake the test. No matter what he recommended I was in zones 5-6. But would it have been different if I took with different instructor??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did Ben ALDIs PZ this morning and shocked myself that what he recommended was “tolerable “ 😳😳😳. I guess I need to retake the test. No matter what he recommended I was in zones 5-6. But would it have been different if I took with different instructor??
I haven't experienced that. If I work hard my ftp zones match pretty well with what the instructor is expecting. Perhaps you should take the test again. I just wish they would give zones for all the rides. So many of them are unusable by me because I can't keep up with their cadence and resistance settings.

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
I agree that the zones are pretty narrow and for many riders, they'll be too hard or too easy. One thing they could do with the bike+ where there is the auto follow feature is that they could allow to add + or - to the range of resistance that is automatically adjusted. As you mention, Power Zone workouts are the one type that fully accommodates for this as long as your FTP is acccurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.