Peloton Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Peloton. I am fit (thought I was) yet I cannot reach the output that the trainer(s) say in the class. Either I cannot go the same resistance OR if in that resistance, I cannot achieve the Cadence. Please tell me what I am doing wrong? I do not want to build - I want to tone down and loose weight (as recently i have picked up weight on my top leg/bum area). I like the HIIT and the diversity. But why can I not get anywhere near the output that they are suggesting?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome! I had the same feeling when I started. Output is impacted by size and weight as well. As a smaller and lighter rider I put out much lower output than larger heavier riders including my husband and I am faster than him on the bike outdoors.

My advice is to try to keep in the cadence range the instructors are saying and modify the resistance to what you can do and add to it over time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are enjoying your rides and getting a good workout I wouldn't worry about your output being lower and I agree that you should match the cadence first and build up to the resistance. If you are a competitive person and/or are wanting to improve your outdoor cycling there is a Power Zone program on Peloton which will absolutely help you get your output up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for that I will try that as I cannot get the resistance right and I really do not want to build muscle at all. Terrified of that

·
Super Moderator
140 Posts
Hi. Most Peloton riders find that they will build muscle and become firmer but I haven't heard much about getting thicker unless people are also doing weight workouts like squats. Here's an article on the topic Will Cycling Make Your Thighs Bigger? - Total Women's Cycling

I agree with the suggestion to try to keep the cadence within the range the instructor is calling out and modify the resistance. One thing you can try is to pick an amount to vary by and keep modifying the resistance by the same amount during the ride. For example, if you go with -10 and they start out at 30, you start at 20, when they say 40 you switch to 30 and so on. That way you are experiencing the ride as it's intended. As you get stronger you can try reducing the modification.

Welcome and have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Stefon - thank you for that information - very helpful. I tried that yesterday and I was able to keep in the cadence with the lower resistance. Still completely out of breath and feeling challenged so great. Thank you and great advice.

The link you suggested I read was also helpful. Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello all.
I am getting on better with the rides and loving it all. I am working at my maximum always and completely out of breathe so I know the workout is very challenging. In fact I have not found one cycle that is not pushing me to my limit.

Before Peloton - at the Virgin gym, when doing a RPM or cycle class - in a 45-60 min session I can achieve between approx. 500-650 with 500 being the minimum. I use a heart monitor that I have worn for many years so know the levels of what I do.

Yet on the Peloton cycles, using my same heart monitor, with a 45 -60min workout - I am not achieving that at all. I am getting approx 400. I work just as hard, actually harder I think as it is more disciplined. Why would it vary? Do the Peloton workouts with the resistance and cadence working hand in hand mean you get a different calorific burn/output?

The Peloton heart monitor and mine do vary - Peloton will give 414calories and the same exercise on mine is 564calories. is it normal for them to vary so much?

·
Registered
27 Posts
What kind of HRM is the one that you've been using for years and you have it paired with the Peloton? I'm not familiar with the Virgin cycling workouts but if I'm doing a challenging ride I'll burn as many or more calories than I would for a studio cycling ride like Soulcycle or Cycle Bar.

·
Super Moderator
140 Posts
Many people complain about the HRM that comes with the Peloton bike. The one that gets recommended the most is the Scosche which is what my wife and I use. It is an armband which is more comfortable than my old chest strap and it seems to be very accurate. It also matches my Apple Watch (which can't be paired to the bike) so I trust it.

They're on sale in the US for 30% off and there is also with free shipping (not sure if this is also available and similar deal in the UK). They have two main types - Rhythm24 Rhythm at $56 before tax. Use discount code HOMEBOUND in the shopping cart. Exercise Heart Rate Monitors | Heart Rate Smart Fitness Trackers If that code doesn't work I would Google for another one as they often have deals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one that I use is MyZone. It sadly cannot be paired to the Peloton. I use it for all my training and really is only for me to compare my sessions against my others. I use to to ensure that I can monitor my calories I burn in a session and also it tells me the output so that I can ensure that I am working to my best. It has the colour codes for the levels of the output and when I am in the red zone, I know that I cannot hold that for long .... seconds to be honest. I get to that in my cardio training with my PT guy but never on the Peloton.

I will look at the Scosche as I do feel the Peloton one is sadly a little plain in what info I can see on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts