Peloton Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new Bike+ owner for 18 days, I took my 20th ride today and I am wondering what parameters affect the output. Today I took a Matt Wilpers - Peloton advanced beginner class (From Wed 8/19/20) where he focused on levels and called for staying below 150 on the output. I used the Bike+ auto-follow so my resistance was right in the center of his range and I pretty much kept in the upper half of his cadence range. He was saying stay below 150 and I was at like 75. When he called for the highest 40-50 resistance my bike set to 45 and my output was like 100 when I was near the top of the speed range. I have seen the comments about the + being harder, but I am wondering how much attention I should give to the outputs they mention in class.
I should note as an old out of shape guy who did his first exercise in years 20 days ago, that I am staying in a good range for me. I try to keep my HR in the 70-80% range. I am assuming it will get easier to have higher output over time.

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
Hi Bruce, great job! I don't have the Bike+ yet but from what I have heard it is more consistently calibrated than the older bike so if that's working as expected that should be the case for you. I have heard other posters complain about inaccurate metrics with the Bike+ so they may be working out some issues since it's new.

Output is made up by just cadence and resistance - nothing else affects output.

If you need to modify that's totally fine. You'll hear instructors say that the ranges they are given are just guidelines so if you can't stay in one or the other range no worries. I would suggest as you improve try spending some of the time in the range you have a hard time maintaining and increase the amount that you're doing that as you get more fit. That said, listen to your body and as long as you're getting a good work out don't stress out about it:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts