Peloton Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is random, but I’m so curious:
I was using a friend’s bike for a few months and fell in love with it. Bought one of my own and just received it. It feels much harder than the bike I was using before. My output is half what it used to be. Anyone know anything about this? Or have any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
491 Posts
This is random, but I’m so curious:
I was using a friend’s bike for a few months and fell in love with it. Bought one of my own and just received it. It feels much harder than the bike I was using before. My output is half what it used to be. Anyone know anything about this? Or have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hi! Yes, there is definitely some variance with calibration with the original Peloton bikes. I did a couple of rides at the studio in NY and the bikes were both harder than my bike at home. Peloton said somewhere that there was a variance of about 10% but it does seem to be more than that in some cases. There's info out there on how to re-calibrate your bike.

If you have a Bike+ those are supposed to re-calibrate digitally so there shouldn't be a difference in theory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Yes, there is definitely some variance with calibration with the original Peloton bikes. I did a couple of rides at the studio in NY and the bikes were both harder than my bike at home. Peloton said somewhere that there was a variance of about 10% but it does seem to be more than that in some cases. There's info out there on how to re-calibrate your bike.

If you have a Bike+ those are supposed to re-calibrate digitally so there shouldn't be a difference in theory.
Thank you for this info! I was beating myself up because my output was so much lower. Both bikes are the first version, not the Bike+.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for this info! I was beating myself up because my output was so much lower. Both bikes are the first version, not the Bike+.

I have experienced much more than 10% variance in a new original bike that I took delivery of at a second residence vs the original bike at primary residence. Similar to comments by many people upgrading to bike+. Moving back and forth between locations and these two bikes and having to retest FTP and reset PRs as people suggest is tremendously frustrating and frankly makes comparable performance to other riders irrelevant. I ordered a second original bike instead of a bike+ assuming there would be more consistency between my two bikes. Feels like the rapid demand growth and higher productions rates is resulting in reduced quality control on this calibration consistency and a host of other service issues. Is there any way to adjust calibration on my new bike to make it more consistent with my original bike?

·
Super Moderator
491 Posts
I have experienced much more than 10% variance in a new original bike that I took delivery of at a second residence vs the original bike at primary residence. Similar to comments by many people upgrading to bike+. Moving back and forth between locations and these two bikes and having to retest FTP and reset PRs as people suggest is tremendously frustrating and frankly makes comparable performance to other riders irrelevant. I ordered a second original bike instead of a bike+ assuming there would be more consistency between my two bikes. Feels like the rapid demand growth and higher productions rates is resulting in reduced quality control on this calibration consistency and a host of other service issues. Is there any way to adjust calibration on my new bike to make it more consistent with my original bike?
I don't believe there's a way to calibrate the Bike+ as it is supposed to do it on it's own. From what I've heard it sounds like the Bike+ is more accurate (although harder) and consistent but I can see how that would be annoying if you are going back and forth. It sounds dumb, but I've been holding off on upgrading because I want to hit a couple of records e.g. 1K on a 45 minute ride and it sounds like if I upgrade that may never be attainable:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't believe there's a way to calibrate the Bike+ as it is supposed to do it on it's own. From what I've heard it sounds like the Bike+ is more accurate (although harder) and consistent but I can see how that would be annoying if you are going back and forth. It sounds dumb, but I've been holding off on upgrading because I want to hit a couple of records e.g. 1K on a 45 minute ride and it sounds like if I upgrade that may never be attainable:)
I did not upgrade to bike+. I bought a second original bike thinking it would be more consistent with what I already had. I'm asking about recalibrating the new original bike. As it stands now I will never come close to a PR on the new bike in my 2nd home as my total ride output is at least 25-35% off of a good strong ride on my 1st bike and I am totally wasted after the ride. Am even further behind ever achieving my PRs. I've had to drop from my normal 45 min or 1 hr rides to 30 min if I care about maintaining the target Resistance and Cadence for the level of rides I've become accustomed to on my 1st bike. Going to give it a bit more time to see if I can adapt some, or learn what I can do to recalibrate. Otherwise I guess I will need to retest for FTP as there is no way I can maintain my current zones on this bike during any Power Zone ride, then retest again when I get back to my primary home bike.

·
Super Moderator
491 Posts
Ah, I see. It is possible to calibrate your original bikes yourself. Peloton used to provide instructions on how to do this but they stopped as people seemed to be causing more problems trying to do it themselves so now they discourage it. Here's another thread on this topic with a link to someone who talks about how to do it.

That variance must be annoying especially for something like PZ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts