Peloton Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike arrived today and haven’t even set up the screen yet! I will set it all up tomorrow but feeling a bit overwhelmed in where to start! Iva had a baby and need to lose 2 stone! I used to do spin classes a lot in the gym but decided to get this as wary abut going back to the gym now. Any advice on where do I start!! What rides etc? Are there both live classes and also rides too?

·
Super Moderator
235 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your bike! Here's a list of accessories to consider. Yes, there are live classes every day and thousands on demand. If you haven't taken a class yet, if you take a live class for your first, you will likely get a "shout out" from the instructor.

Here are some tips:
-Make sure your bike is adjusted properly for you - seat, handlebars, etc. Here's a short video on it.
-Start with "beginner" classes which show you the basics and explain proper form (relaxed shoulders, no bouncing, elbows bent, etc.). Also try the "welcome to Peloton" series in collections to try out different instructors.
-Try to ride (or workout) every day. This is a good time to create a new positive habit. If you do something else active like a bike ride outside, hike, run, etc. that's a great substitute.
-Although I suggest making it a daily habit, don't push yourself too hard every day. Some days, just do low impact rides or recovery rides and if you're sore, hungover or not feeling great even 5 or 10 minutes is good. Since you have this awesome new toy, you'll want to ride it a lot but you don't want to overdo it and burn out. I'd suggest pushing it to the max no more than twice a week.
-Stretch after every ride. 5 minute post ride stretches are fine - you can do them on the bike, from a phone, tablet, computer, smart TV or streaming device.
-Whenever you're doing a hard ride, start with a 5 or 10 minute warm up ride and end with a 5 or 10 minute cool down ride. There is a warmup section of each ride but they're not long enough and they usually only cool down for 1 minute at the end. When I cool down I want my heard rate back to 90 or below before I get off the bike. Warming up and cooling down will help your body recover and you'll be less sore.
-If you can't match the cadence and resistance that is suggested, try to just do the cadence and lower the resistance to what you can do. Work up to the resistance range over time.
-If you have trouble pedaling while standing up don't do it at first or do it for shorter amounts of time.
-You mentioned wanting to lose weight. The most efficient classes for that will be intervals so HIIT and Tabata classes although don't do them before your ready and/or start with short classes.
-Try the other exercises on the app like strength, meditation, yoga, etc. These are good and help to mix it up.

Let me know if you have any questions. Welcome to the cult of Peloton!

·
Registered
66 Posts
My bike arrived today and haven’t even set up the screen yet! I will set it all up tomorrow but feeling a bit overwhelmed in where to start! Iva had a baby and need to lose 2 stone! I used to do spin classes a lot in the gym but decided to get this as wary abut going back to the gym now. Any advice on where do I start!! What rides etc? Are there both live classes and also rides too?
Exciting! What kind of music do you like and do you like an instructor that is laid back or one that yells at you? They are very different. For me the music is key so I pick classes based on the type of music and I usually look at the playlist. My favorites are Alex, Emma and Olivia. If you want to try the instructors from the UK there's Ben, Leanne, Sam and Hannah which are all excellent. Have fun!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good tips! If you haven't been working out and you start riding the Peloton, you'll definitely feel better and get stronger. If you want to lose weight, it goes without saying that improving your diet will help a lot as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts