Peloton Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been riding a Peloton bike since August with no issues (and really loving it), until last week when I started developing pain in the medial-lower portion of my knees. This followed a couple of weeks of increased riding time after the pedals of the bike were changed, and started with my left knee. I've been following the RICE protocol and been off the bike for four days, which has given me time to contemplate my poor choices and educate myself more about bike set up. I will be getting a bike fitting from TeamWilpers in late February (earliest available) and in the meantime I've been reading posts and watching videos about bike setup and cleat position with the hope I recover soon and can get back on the bike. In terms of cleat position, I've found some conflicting information, so I hope some of you can clarify how the cleats should be angled with respect to the tip of the shoe. In some videos they show them aligned to the center of white plate at the tip of the shoe, which I don't think puts the foot in a straight position. Instead, the alignment shown in the picture below seems to do that. Am I wrong? I haven't taken a ride with this alignment since I want to give my knees some more time to heal.

Thanks for your help, and if you have any other suggestions to avoid knee pain (besides doing cool down rides and stretching, which I always do), I would most appreciate it!!

Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Crankset Tool

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been riding a Peloton bike since August with no issues (and really loving it), until last week when I started developing pain in the medial-lower portion of my knees. This followed a couple of weeks of increased riding time after the pedals of the bike were changed, and started with my left knee. I've been following the RICE protocol and been off the bike for four days, which has given me time to contemplate my poor choices and educate myself more about bike set up. I will be getting a bike fitting from TeamWilpers in late February (earliest available) and in the meantime I've been reading posts and watching videos about bike setup and cleat position with the hope I recover soon and can get back on the bike. In terms of cleat position, I've found some conflicting information, so I hope some of you can clarify how the cleats should be angled with respect to the tip of the shoe. In some videos they show them aligned to the center of white plate at the tip of the shoe, which I don't think puts the foot in a straight position. Instead, the alignment shown in the picture below seems to do that. Am I wrong? I haven't taken a ride with this alignment since I want to give my knees some more time to heal.

Thanks for your help, and if you have any other suggestions to avoid knee pain (besides doing cool down rides and stretching, which I always do), I would most appreciate it!!

View attachment 270

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I’m new to peloton and the weird cleats. I adjusted mine many times before I settled on aligning the broad end of the cleat equally along the number 5 line on the shoe. I wear a size 45 and so far this position has taken a lot of stress off my feet. Hope this helps 😬

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply! What about the angle of the tip of the cleat to get your feet straight? I think if I move mine farther back they won't be under the ball of my feet. I have small feet :)

·
Super Moderator
558 Posts
Your cleats are all the way forward and are pointing a bit farther to the outside then I would think is ideal although some of it is just personal preference. When you pedal do you feel like the ball of your foot is directly over the center of the pedal? If it does, than it's positioned correctly. If it feels like the ball of your foot is over the back of the pedal, the cleats are too far forward.

Two other things that can cause pain are if the seat height is too low or too high and if the seat is too far forward or backwards. If you're watching bike fitting videos you probably know that already:)

It's great that you're doing a bike fitting with Wilpers - I've heard those are great and should ensure you are properly fitted.
Steveon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply! This is very helpful, and I believe you are right. Moving the cleats back feels better in terms of aligning the ball of my foot with the center of the pedal. I also moved them out and that seems to feel better as well. I did do some minor adjustments to my seat as well because believe it was a tad too high. I think it's been in the right direction, but we'll see once I have the bike fitting! It's strange because I had been riding with the old setup for months with no issues, but I did increase the length and intensity of my rides recently, and that's probably when problems become more obvious! I'm also going to a sports medicine doctor next week for a proper treatment and diagnosis, since it appears the pain could be related to nerve compression :oops:

Your cleats are all the way forward and are pointing a bit farther to the outside then I would think is ideal although some of it is just personal preference. When you pedal do you feel like the ball of your foot is directly over the center of the pedal? If it does, than it's positioned correctly. If it feels like the ball of your foot is over the back of the pedal, the cleats are too far forward.

Two other things that can cause pain are if the seat height is too low or too high and if the seat is too far forward or backwards. If you're watching bike fitting videos you probably know that already:)

It's great that you're doing a bike fitting with Wilpers - I've heard those are great and should ensure you are properly fitted.
Steveon

·
Super Moderator
558 Posts
Thanks for your reply! This is very helpful, and I believe you are right. Moving the cleats back feels better in terms of aligning the ball of my foot with the center of the pedal. I also moved them out and that seems to feel better as well. I did do some minor adjustments to my seat as well because believe it was a tad too high. I think it's been in the right direction, but we'll see once I have the bike fitting! It's strange because I had been riding with the old setup for months with no issues, but I did increase the length and intensity of my rides recently, and that's probably when problems become more obvious! I'm also going to a sports medicine doctor next week for a proper treatment and diagnosis, since it appears the pain could be related to nerve compression :oops:
Glad to hear it! I would definitely take it easy on length of time and/or resistance if you're feeling pain. The bike fitting should also ensure you have everything just right!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear it! I would definitely take it easy on length of time and/or resistance if you're feeling pain. The bike fitting should also ensure you have everything just right!
Yes, I've definitely been taking it easy. Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts