Peloton Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20200222_135423.jpg

I read up on various Peloton cycle class types while waiting for the bike to be delivered. I really like the idea of Power Zone training so I had the warm-up and test lined up for delivery day. Once I got done with the test, a pop-up came on the screen about my FTP. Based on my weight and gender the estimation is 180 watts, but based on my test, I was only at 59 watts! To be only 1/3 of where the average person is at my weight and gender was pretty eye opening. Just makes me want to work that much harder though.

·
Super Moderator
166 Posts
An estimate of 180 without any info other than weight and gender seems way too high to me. I wouldn't sweat it. Considering you did that on day 1 I'm sure you will advance pretty quickly.

When you do your re-test, I would suggest making sure you get a good nights sleep, are well hydrated, not sore, do the FTP warm up ride, etc.

Welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've really been enjoying the rides these last couple weeks. I haven't retaken the test yet but I did just increase my FTP to 70 because I felt it was needed. The zones and my output on the next ride after felt just right. Honestly my leg endurance is definitely what's holding me back, but they're waking up quickly. I have strong legs, but they haven't been put through regular cardio in years so they burn out quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't feel too bad, when they ask for 90-100 cadence, I can only make it up to 84 and forget keeping up with the resistance. Everyone says cadence first. On the up side took my first strength class today and did my first core class yesterday. I figure this is only the beginning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't feel too bad, when they ask for 90-100 cadence, I can only make it up to 84 and forget keeping up with the resistance. Everyone says cadence first. On the up side took my first strength class today and did my first core class yesterday. I figure this is only the beginning.
What Kathy is doing I think is the way to go - focus on trying to match the cadence first and go lighter on resistance. Then when the cadence is there try getting the resistance up. That said don't do anything that really feels unnatural - for instance standing and pedaling at a high cadence if you're not ready for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Hopefully once my legs finish waking up from a couple years of workout atrophy, they'll be able to keep up better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been more than a couple of years for me, lol!
Haha, I understand. It's been a couple years since I regularly worked out, so my legs used to be pretty strong, but that says NOTHING for endurance. I haven't introduced my legs to regular cardiovascular activity since high school, over 20 years ago!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts