Peloton Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The male dongle of the usb-c cable that connects the wheelbase to the touch screen on my Bike+ was recently bent in transport and is no longer able to power on the screen. I ran a replacement cable externally to the monitor but it wasn’t obvious how to feed it through the handlebar assembly internally. The Peloton website appears to indicate it’s not possible and a replacement handlebar assembly must be purchased. Which feels like a poor design choice to require a $300 part to fix a $10 cable.

Any tricks on how to loosen the headset to release the existing cable?

· Registered
34 Posts
When my bike+ had a problem that was suspected to be from a bad cable (that same cable that runs thru the bars), peloton sent a tech to replace the entire handlebar assembly. I was chatting with the tech guy about how ridiculous that is rather than replace the cable. He agreed, but did admit that it is possible to do the cable but it’s a huge pain.

He said that he has sometimes done it back at the warehouse if he had some down time with nothing to do. The issue is that the cable follows through some tight spots and sharp bends in the bars.

I think though if you can disassemble the swivel mechanism and related bracketry, maybe it would work. After all, the manufacturer in Taiwan was able to get it in there so no reason to think it’s impossible to do it again. Start by removing the monitor so you can remove the bars, then remove the post that slides into the frame, then turn the swivel and there’s another bolt there that must remove something. The top of the monitor mount has this teardrop shaped panel…I wonder if it pries off to reveal something helpful… I dunno, That’s all I’ve got.

So it sounds like you could do it if you’re adventurous and willing to chance messing it up more than it is now. But simply running a separate cable could work too.

· Registered
113 Posts
The male dongle of the usb-c cable that connects the wheelbase to the touch screen on my Bike+ was recently bent in transport and is no longer able to power on the screen. I ran a replacement cable externally to the monitor but it wasn’t obvious how to feed it through the handlebar assembly internally. The Peloton website appears to indicate it’s not possible and a replacement handlebar assembly must be purchased. Which feels like a poor design choice to require a $300 part to fix a $10 cable.

Any tricks on how to loosen the headset to release the existing cable?
Just run the cable from the back of the display and into the protective shroud above the flywheel. No need to route inside the handlebar.

· Registered
2 Posts
The male dongle of the usb-c cable that connects the wheelbase to the touch screen on my Bike+ was recently bent in transport and is no longer able to power on the screen. I ran a replacement cable externally to the monitor but it wasn’t obvious how to feed it through the handlebar assembly internally. The Peloton website appears to indicate it’s not possible and a replacement handlebar assembly must be purchased. Which feels like a poor design choice to require a $300 part to fix a $10 cable. Any tricks on how to loosen the headset to release the existing cable?
It is very much possible. I recently moved back to the US after being stationed in Germany. During the move the dongle got bent. First you need to go buy yourself a 5’ usb-c to usb-c cord. Then make sure you have the proper Allen wrenches. Disconnect the cord behind the monitor and the other cord right above the wheel. Use One allen wrench to unscrewed the two bolts behind the screen. Becareful cause that is what is holding the tv together with the handle bar. Place somewhere safe. Next, unscrew the knob and pull the handle bar out and grab a different Allen wrench and unscrew the three bolts on the base of the handle bar. Then pull the pieces off. At the bottom of the handle bar is a plastic piece that comes off. Next is another plastic piece at the top where the monitor mounts and an opening with the two cords sticking out, stick something with a soft tip into the opening towards the top and pop the top off. Should come off easy. That gives you better access. Next is the hard part. Pull the usb-c cable out. Once out you’ll wanna go through the top where the wires are exposed and feed it through. May take you several tries but I noticed it fed through quick when following the left side of the other cord. (This took me 30min). Then have a wire hanger ready. Make it into a hook and pull it out from the other end. Then put everything back together. Hope this helps and saves you $300

· Registered
113 Posts
It is very much possible. I recently moved back to the US after being stationed in Germany. During the move the dongle got bent. First you need to go buy yourself a 5’ usb-c to usb-c cord. Then make sure you have the proper Allen wrenches. Disconnect the cord behind the monitor and the other cord right above the wheel. Use One allen wrench to unscrewed the two bolts behind the screen. Becareful cause that is what is holding the tv together with the handle bar. Place somewhere safe. Next, unscrew the knob and pull the handle bar out and grab a different Allen wrench and unscrew the three bolts on the base of the handle bar. Then pull the pieces off. At the bottom of the handle bar is a plastic piece that comes off. Next is another plastic piece at the top where the monitor mounts and an opening with the two cords sticking out, stick something with a soft tip into the opening towards the top and pop the top off. Should come off easy. That gives you better access. Next is the hard part. Pull the usb-c cable out. Once out you’ll wanna go through the top where the wires are exposed and feed it through. May take you several tries but I noticed it fed through quick when following the left side of the other cord. (This took me 30min). Then have a wire hanger ready. Make it into a hook and pull it out from the other end. Then put everything back together. Hope this helps and saves you $300
Save yourself the headache and just run then USB-C cable directly from the display to the connection above the shroud above the flywheel. 30 second fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts