Peloton Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively new Bike+ owner and while I'm overall very happy with it, I'm finding the auto-follow resistance feature a bit of a let down. I often want to work at a higher resistance than the range set by the instructor, and although I can manually increase the resistance when auto-follow is turned on, the next time the instructor changes the resistance range, my resistance reverts back to the top of that range, e.g. if instructor range is 40-50% and I increase my resistance to 60% with auto-follow still turned on, when the instructor increases to 45-55%, my resistance reduces to 55%.

I have convinced myself that when I first got the bike I was able to add an offset above (or below) the instructor's range and as the instructor added or removed resistance, my offset would be maintained, but I can't find any reference to that feature anywhere. Am I imagining that that was the case?

If it's not currently possible, it's something I think there would be great benefit in implementing. Does anybody else find this frustrating?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel disappointed exactly the same way. If you set your resistance at X% of the range, it nicely stays at that same relative position when the range changes. But if you are at say 110% of the range, it always brings you back to 100% of the range.

If it DID actually work that way, I would think there needs to be a place to configure some sort of personal min/max limits for those times that they call out high range ceilings like up to 100%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my mind it doesn't seem like something that would be too difficult to implement. At the minute, if you set your resistance to 80% of the way up the instructor's range, the bike is smart enough to work out how to keep you at the same relative position as the range windows widen and narrow during a ride. Seems to me if you were to set your resistance to 110% of the instructor's range it wouldn't be too difficult to carry that through each of the instructor's sets.

I'll submit a feature request on the peloton website and see if anything comes of it.

·
Super Moderator
489 Posts
I agree they should do this. If I'm going hard, I'll often do roughly plus 10, +20, etc. I also tell Newbies to do -10 or whatever works if they can't keep up with the cadence at the bottom of the range. There is such a wide variety of fitness levels, they should allow for more modification with auto follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue, but here's something odd: We got our Bike+ in March and the resistance settings I needed for a given output were about 15 points lower than on our original bike, which allowed me to use Auto Follow. I thought that maybe resistance was personalized so that riders of different strengths could use Auto Follow, which seemed like a great idea, but I called customer service to try and confirm this and they had no clue. They then kept promising to put me in touch with some technical/software team who could give me better info, but they never did. Now they're going to replace our bike. It seems as if the customer-facing people at Peloton have no clue how the Bike+ works, and based on the posts above, I think replacing the bike isn't going to help.

Also, does anyone find it strange that there's no guide specifically for original bike users who are upgrading?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts