Peloton Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody noticed, and been able to fix, resistance drift (getting easier) during a ride? I am noticing a difference for rides or stacked rides over about 45 minutes. My baseless theory is that it has something to do with the the flywheel heating up, or possibly some worn out part, but I’m curious if anybody else has noticed longer rides getting easier toward the end? The reported wattage is higher, and I have to adjust the resistance up a point or two as the ride goes on to feel the same resistance. The power data is also not accurate at that point since it is over reporting.

· Registered
113 Posts
Has anybody noticed, and been able to fix, resistance drift (getting easier) during a ride? I am noticing a difference for rides or stacked rides over about 45 minutes. My baseless theory is that it has something to do with the the flywheel heating up, or possibly some worn out part, but I’m curious if anybody else has noticed longer rides getting easier toward the end? The reported wattage is higher, and I have to adjust the resistance up a point or two as the ride goes on to feel the same resistance. The power data is also not accurate at that point since it is over reporting.
Well it does get hot for sure.... Not that this helps but here's proof in a members video from way back.. Official Peloton Member Page
Automotive lighting Blue Sky Gas Electric blue

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is so cool! Magnetic resistance -> heat -> reduction in magnetism -> interference with load cell sensor reading? I sent a note to Peloton and ordered a big fan to cool the flywheel to see if that does anything.

I do want to point out for anybody reading this, especially new riders, that I work at a high power relatively speaking and this was not something I noticed early on. It certainly didn’t impact my progress in a meaningful way, and I love my peloton. I am just an engineer who can’t live with a discrepancy like this without understanding the basis, so don’t let my fixation on a few watts get in the way of your own fitness journey!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Closing the loop on this - Peloton was super helpful. They had me take a recorded video of a ride and recommended replacing the cadence sensor which apparently is the part that transmits all the metrics. The price is reasonable (out of warranty) and the scheduling was easy!

· Registered
113 Posts
Closing the loop on this - Peloton was super helpful. They had me take a recorded video of a ride and recommended replacing the cadence sensor which apparently is the part that transmits all the metrics. The price is reasonable (out of warranty) and the scheduling was easy!
Suggest you be careful if it's XPO doing the repair. Most of them have never been trained on any type of service (especially the sensor replacement). Would not be surprised of they watch a video at your home before they try to fix your bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.