Peloton Forum banner

What should the leaderboards ideally reflect?

• Maximum output

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Maximum output while following the class

Votes: 5 83.3%

Top end of the leader board

13K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SloJamAl 
#1 ·
Is it just me or are the top ends of the class leaderboards dominated by people who simply crank out a constant high cadence/resistance without following the class at all e.g.

Since it’s normal to want to get as high as you can on the leaderboard I feel like this means the leaderboards kinda promote ignoring the instructor and just maximising output for the duration of the class.
Shouldn’t the leaderboards encourage maximising your output WHILE following the class?

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear what you're saying, but the beauty of Peloton rides (and encouraged sometimes by the instructors), is that you don't have to follow them to a tee. They're just suggestions and a guide really. With that said, while some top leaderboard metrics are totally legit (by some insane riders), there's a bunch that's really off due to incorrect calibration on their bikes. More of an issue with the original Bike vs the Bike +.

#3 ·
Yeah totally agree re following exact cadence/resistance ranges - that’s not what it’s about. But sprinting during sprints and climbing during climbs etc. rather than just powering through oblivious is more what I’m getting out. Don’t get me wrong: I know that is hard to achieve this flexibly - but if it could be done would it be desirable?

#5 ·
I think it would get too complicated to try to have a way to confirm that someone was actually following the class. There would be no way to confirm someone was actually standing, doing tap backs, etc.

These days when I go for a PR, I do ignore the instructor and just try to maximize output like a time trial. Usually, I do follow the class though.

From what I've heard I do agree that the Bike+ is generally tougher than the original bike so it isn't exactly a level playing field.

#7 ·
I’ve had similar thoughts but ultimately I believe its about as good as can be considering all the variables. We all have to just ride our own rides. Sometimes the top of the leaderboard is achievable and thats thrilling. Other times the top is nowhere in sight but I get competitiv/motivated by others nearby, or working toward a PR. Anything that helps us push is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.