Peloton Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Hi all!

Looking to save some head and heartache here. This fix will help solve the case when your Peloton's touchscreen is unresponsive but still turns on.

My girlfriend ran into the same issue with her Peloton (pltn-rb1vq) having an unresponsive touchscreen (though the screen would still turn on) after running an update. We tried all the tricks listed like factory reset (ran into the "Peloton - Android No Command" issue) and various power cycle tricks, but no luck. 馃槥 So we thought we were going to have to go through Peloton and buy a replacement screen for $400.

I then realized that the Peloton screen is nothing more than a fancy Android tablet. Android tablets can use a mouse and keyboard!

So I purchased the following from Amazon:
  1. UGREEN Micro USB to USB Micro USB 2.0 OTG Cable ($8)
  2. Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Living-room Keyboard with Touchpad ($25)

Testing proved that this works!! By plugging the Logitech keyboard/mouse combo into the micro-USB port on the back of the touchscreen using the adaptor cable, you can use the keyboard/mouse combo instead of the touchscreen:

~$35 is better than $400, so I call this a win. 馃コ

You will just need to get used to using the keyboard/mouse instead of pressing the touchscreen in front of you.

Hope this helps!

Registered
Hi all!

Looking to save some head and heartache here. This fix will help solve the case when your Peloton's touchscreen is unresponsive but still turns on.

My girlfriend ran into the same issue with her Peloton (pltn-rb1vq) having an unresponsive touchscreen (though the screen would still turn on) after running an update. We tried all the tricks listed like factory reset (ran into the "Peloton - Android No Command" issue) and various power cycle tricks, but no luck. 馃槥 So we thought we were going to have to go through Peloton and buy a replacement screen for $400.

I then realized that the Peloton screen is nothing more than a fancy Android tablet. Android tablets can use a mouse and keyboard!

Testing proved that this works!! By plugging the Logitech keyboard/mouse combo into the micro-USB port on the back of the touchscreen using the adaptor cable, you can use the keyboard/mouse combo instead of the touchscreen:

You will just need to get used to using the keyboard/mouse instead of pressing the touchscreen in front of you.

Hope this helps!
Hi, just to confirm this works!!!! in fact I have used a simple mouse conected to that same micro usb port and it works!! just like a mouse on a computer.
Automotive design Automotive tire Table Audio equipment Fender

Thanks!!!!!!!

Registered
Hi all!

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this. Really hoping it works for me. Wondering if you've tried restoring to factory setting using the mouse to navigate to the "setting".

Registered
My bike is a 2018 in great condition. The other day I turned my bike on. It asked me to do a software update so I did. Upon restart the bottom menu/task bar where you can view classes and schedule etc. does not respond to touch all of a sudden and it is just the one area of the screen. Naturally, I called Peloton. I spoke to three different techs and went through three different trouble shooting methods with all three and still no change with my issue. Over the coarse of three days I have spoke to 4 different people and ended up most recently with a supervisor of the tech dept. ultimately It was explained to me this is a known issue. I was told I have to purchase a new screen. Why should someone who spends all this money monthly and for the original cost of the bike have to spend money to replace a screen that cannot function properly due to a software update? Especially when this is a 鈥渒nown issue鈥 admitted by Peloton. After 2+ hours on the phone today I was told that Peloton could not do anything. It is on me as the consumer to pay the price of a replacement screen. If a vehicle manufacture found a known issue, they would issue a recall and the manufacture would cover the cost regardless of warranty status. Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced this issue? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
My Peloton is only 17 months old and my touch screen won't work - screen if find but the touch part isn't working. Went through all of the resets and was told that I have to buy a new screen. This is pathetic - Maybe I will cancel my $40/month subscription and go back to the club.

Registered
My Peloton is only 17 months old and my touch screen won't work - screen if find but the touch part isn't working. Went through all of the resets and was told that I have to buy a new screen. This is pathetic - Maybe I will cancel my $40/month subscription and go back to the club.
I just had the same issue arise. My bike + worked fine last night, and this morning the screen does not register any touch inputs. I tried all of the troubleshooting tips, and then called tech support. Tech support was thoroughly unhelpful - disinteresting and seeming annoyed by the call. They said that since I was out of warranty it would be $1,000 to have a tech come out and give me a new screen. My bike was delivered about 14 months ago. This is crazy. I am going to try the cludgy external keyboard fix suggested above - at least that may let me use the bike. I am very disappointed in the company., I have an email chain going with them now, we will see if I get any useful response.

Registered
I just had the same issue arise. My bike + worked fine last night, and this morning the screen does not register any touch inputs. I tried all of the troubleshooting tips, and then called tech support. Tech support was thoroughly unhelpful - disinteresting and seeming annoyed by the call. They said that since I was out of warranty it would be $1,000 to have a tech come out and give me a new screen. My bike was delivered about 14 months ago. This is crazy. I am going to try the cludgy external keyboard fix suggested above - at least that may let me use the bike. I am very disappointed in the company., I have an email chain going with them now, we will see if I get any useful response.
UPDATE: OK, my complaining seemed to have worked. They are giving me a one-time out of warranty free screen replacement since I am just outside the warranty period.. Only advice I have is that I definitely get better responses from emailing customer support vs calling tech support.

Registered
Hi all!

Hope this helps!

Bro.. youre a king.. Amazing.. screw Peloton!!

Registered
This also just happened to me right after their update. Screen freezes and is unresponsive. Peleton replaced this bike a year ago, mine has the new screen. Peleton has a bug in their software and needs to fix this issue. There software caused the issue so it should be on them to fix it. Paying 400 to fix a problem they created because of flaky software is nonsense. If Peleton doesn't fix this issue, perhaps we should start posting on all Social Media forums about it. Maybe then this company will do something about it. I have tried all the usual methods, however can't seem to get it to boot into recovery mode. The screen will however start working after unplugging several times and restarting.

Registered
Hi all!

Hope this helps!
How did you get rid of the blue hue on the screen once you mouse set up?

Registered
Hi all! Looking to save some head and heartache here. This fix will help solve the case when your Peloton's touchscreen is unresponsive but still turns on. My girlfriend ran into the same issue with her Peloton (pltn-rb1vq) having an unresponsive touchscreen (though the screen would still turn on) after running an update. We tried all the tricks listed like factory reset (ran into the "Peloton - Android No Command" issue) and various power cycle tricks, but no luck. 馃槥 So we thought we were going to have to go through Peloton and buy a replacement screen for $400. I then realized that the Peloton screen is nothing more than a fancy Android tablet. Android tablets can use a mouse and keyboard! So I purchased the following from Amazon:
~$35 is better than $400, so I call this a win. 馃コ You will just need to get used to using the keyboard/mouse instead of pressing the touchscreen in front of you. Hope this helps!
This works. Thank you so much. Peloton customer service sucks.

Registered
Hi all, I have some possible good news! I just resolved this for myself on my Bike+, though I'm not positive what fixed it. Posting a log of what I did in case this helps anyone track down a set of concrete steps. This is all from memory after spending 2 hours or so tinkering, so apologies if this doesn't end up being super helpful.

If anyone tries the below steps, please try to keep better track of your steps than I did ;) and maybe we can figure out a more concise way to resolve this for others.

After seeing the above post about a keyboard/mouse for inspiration, I plugged mine in so I could at least get past the "Choose your language" screen that I was blocked by after performing the factory reset from recovery mode.

After letting the tablet install updates and calibrate, but before the activation step, I opened the Settings menu from the top right, then the System menu item and tried performing the factory reset from there as well. After it rebooted, my touch screen was still not working.

I then tried the factory reset from Settings -> System one more time, but while it was installing updates, I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete just to see what happened. This prompted it to reboot in the middle of the update, which is something would typically avoid, but I had nothing to lose. It then booted back up and seemed to be at an older version of the activation screen. My touch screen still didn't work at this point, but I decided to tinker around in Settings once more. I clicked the "Apps" menu item and tried opening some of the Android apps and playing around with them. This is where I apologize for not having more detail, as I really just performed some random actions. I recall going through some of the diagnostics menus and having some fun getting insight on some of the tests they run in the factory. I do remember the last app I opened was the "Wfd Client" app a the bottom. The screen orientation flipped 90 degrees and some Android permissions menus opened that I couldn't close or otherwise back out of, and I didn't want to grant the permissions, so I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete once again to reboot.

On the next boot, I don't recall trying to use the touch screen, so maybe it was already fixed, but I remembered that I had halted updates during the previous attempt, so I tried another Factory Reset from Settings -> System and letting it go through the full update process again. After this, or possibly even before the update without me realizing it, my touch screen was functional again.

For some additional context, the issue started for me last Friday after my Peloton Bike+ prompted me to update. After the update completed and the tablet rebooted, I was unable to use the touch screen at all, which I believe aligns with what most users in the post are seeing. I didn't ever experience a white flickering screen or hit-or-miss touch screen responsiveness. It was just completely unusable. I tried the volume up + power button to enter recovery mode and reset to factory default several times with no success, but I'm now back to a working touch screen, so something during my tinkering must have worked.

Registered
I had the same issue with the touch screen not working following a software upgrade. Dealing with Peloton support was extremely frustrating. Spent a considerable amount of time with support and initially was told they never heard of this issue (which clearly my situation is not unique). I too was told I would have to purchase a new screen. 1. Be persistent with Peloton Support. I escalated my complaint and Peleton has agreed to replace my screen at no cost. (It's currently being shipped ... I will repost if it does not arrive). This is definitely a software issue that was caused by Peloton's update. 2. Use a computer mouse. Previous posts are correct that the screen is an Android Tablet. The back of the screen has a USB-C port (I think the older Pelotons might have a USB-A port). I was tired of waiting for Peloton to resolve this issue so I plugged in a USB-C wireless mouse and it works. It's a little inconvenient to use a mouse instead of the touch commands but it certainly is better than paying for a new screen.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts