Peloton Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I use my Orangetheory HR monitor with my bike (no longer go to OT). I have 2 related questions. Background: I am new to spin (9 weeks in, riding 3x/week) and I also took 8 mos off in the Pandemic and did zero working out, so starting from an out of shape base, also am 60 years old.

When I take a class, I am frequently at the highest level on my HR monitor(100% or more), except when we get to scale back, and even then I don't drop much below 90% before we have to work hard again. I don't know what I should have my HR be at, and if it's dangerous to be so high? I feel fine and maybe I'm trying too hard to keep up but I'm always at the lower end of the suggested resistance/cadence. Can I get some help on where I should be?
Second part of this question is, is it possible my HR monitor could be off? If so, does anyone know how to calibrate an OT latest gen HR monitor, or if I can even do so?
Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
492 Posts
Hi All
I use my Orangetheory HR monitor with my bike (no longer go to OT). I have 2 related questions. Background: I am new to spin (9 weeks in, riding 3x/week) and I also took 8 mos off in the Pandemic and did zero working out, so starting from an out of shape base, also am 60 years old.

When I take a class, I am frequently at the highest level on my HR monitor(100% or more), except when we get to scale back, and even then I don't drop much below 90% before we have to work hard again. I don't know what I should have my HR be at, and if it's dangerous to be so high? I feel fine and maybe I'm trying too hard to keep up but I'm always at the lower end of the suggested resistance/cadence. Can I get some help on where I should be?
Second part of this question is, is it possible my HR monitor could be off? If so, does anyone know how to calibrate an OT latest gen HR monitor, or if I can even do so?
Thank you so much!

Welcome!

I'm guessing that if your heart rate is showing up as that high and you feel fine either the ranges set on the monitor are off or it's not working correctly. One easy way to check would be to wear your HR monitor and do a manual check of your heart beats per minute by measuring your pulse on your wrist with a watch and seeing if it matches. If it is accurate, I would talk to your Dr. and let them know your HR is high when you don't feel like your working that hard.

I've heard that Orange Theory monitors just use the basic calculation of 230 minus age to calculate max heart rate which is not super accurate in some cases e.g. if your in better than average condition for a 60 year old. You definitely should not be working out around 100% of your max HR all the time:)

Do you have a Bike+? If so, another option for HR is an Apple Watch if you have one. I personally use a Scosche with my bike which works great.

Let us know what you find out:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same position. I am 63. Finished the Zone training series. For me to stay in zone 3 I am supposed to be in the 135 range. If I speed up at all I jump int o zones 4 and 5. If I stay in zone 3 at 135 or less I dont feel like Im working out. Many of the classes I have taken I have been in zone 4 and 5 the entire class. I want to get stronger and dont want to be spinning too high. Im hoping someone can help with this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the same position. I am 63. Finished the Zone training series. For me to stay in zone 3 I am supposed to be in the 135 range. If I speed up at all I jump int o zones 4 and 5. If I stay in zone 3 at 135 or less I dont feel like Im working out. Many of the classes I have taken I have been in zone 4 and 5 the entire class. I want to get stronger and dont want to be spinning too high. Im hoping someone can help with this.
Would you recommend Zone Training for new riders and how do you start zone training?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you recommend Zone Training for new riders and how do you start zone training?
Yes I would recommend zone training. It gives you a good starting point to know how hard you should be pushing. If you want to find it on the bottom of your screen go to programs and then you’ll see power zones. They have it week by week and tell you exactly which classes to take in which order it’s hard but it gives you a good sense of what numbers to be looking out for

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes I would recommend zone training. It gives you a good starting point to know how hard you should be pushing. If you want to find it on the bottom of your screen go to programs and then you’ll see power zones. They have it week by week and tell you exactly which classes to take in which order it’s hard but it gives you a good sense of what numbers to be looking out for
Would you recommend I use 15 min zone training before or after I move on to 20 min beginner ride?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Start with the 15 min beginner ride. They are harder than they sound. Adjust cadence and resistance so you can finish the class. It took time for me to be able to stay on the numbers the trainer was calling out. Remember go at your pace, you will get there. By the end of the month you will see the change. I always did a 15 min warmup and a cool down before and after each ride and I haven’t been sore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts